Saturday, August 13, 2016

Lunch with the congressman


I joined several others Friday for lunch at the Charitone with 2nd District U.S. Rep. Dave Loebsack (D-Iowa), right, and his aide, Dien Judge (left). 

It was a political visit, of course, and I trotted out my usual spiel about the importance of federal and state tax credits to historic preservation efforts, a reminder that the Charitone most likely wouldn't have been restored without them and the suggestion that they check out progress on the facade improvement project before leaving town. (Rain was pouring down during most of their visit, so a driving tour was in order.)

Then there was lunch! At the recommendation of my neighbor to the left, I ordered the macaroni and cheese burger. Oh my ...

This involves an open-face burger served on artisan bread, then topped with white cheddar macaroni and cheese, bacon --- and more cheese. It was wonderful, but I could feel my arteries clogging as I ate. Sorry, but I was too busy eating to think of photographing it.

You'll notice that the congressman is eating a salad. I'd better stick stick to something like that today myself to compensate.

No comments: