Monday, March 06, 2023

Just another LGBTQ+ Sunday in Iowa ...


Here are links to two "Iowa Starting Line" stories I've been reading this morning. One, "Iowans Show Up In Droves To Protest Homophobic Republican Bills," covers the rally at the capitol yesterday; and "Bills, Bills, Bills: What Legislation Survived Funnel Week In Iowa?" That's a roundup of homophobic bills likely to move forward in the Legislature this week as GOP lawmakers continue their lynch mob approach to governing.

A proposed ban on drag shows as well as a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage fell by the wayside --- for the moment --- on Friday. Nearly everything else remains active.

+++

I got to speculating, while driving to church yesterday morning, about how many safe spaces for LGBTQ+ people exist these days in Chariton churches. Yes, astonishingly, some LGBTQ+ folks still hope to find a home in an affirming church, synagogue or other place of spiritual refreshment.

My speculation came about, in part, because many years ago --- when I happened to be in Des Moines on Sunday mornings, home-based in Mason City --- I'd run into gay folks from Chariton at gay-friendly churches there. There was, they told me, no safe place for them in Lucas County.

That's changed, up to a point. An unreserved welcome would be offered these days, I think (and if I'm wrong please correct me) at St. Andrew's Episcopal, First Lutheran (ELCA), First Presbyterian and First Christian (Disciples of Christ).

Other than that, it's pretty much the same.


No comments: