Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Happy birthday, Dolly Parton


OK, so I'm a fan of country music --- get over it. Although I still think Little Big Town's fairly recent hit, a bizarre anthem to codependency entitled "Girl Crush," is one of the most annoying songs every written or performed.

On the other hand, how could you not love a genre that generates a work like Love and Theft's more recent hit that includes lyrics like these:

"No, and I ain't afraid of dyin'
But what scares me to death
Is meetin' Jesus with whiskey on my breath."

And I do love me some Dolly Parton, who celebrated her 70th birthday yesterday. We're the same age, roughly --- but she's held up better.

Here's one of my favorites, performed in this instance with Alison Kraus and Suzanne Cox, of the Cox Family. 

No comments: