Saturday, April 24, 2021

A Viburnum variety, but which one ....

The question was asked  the other day during a stroll along the south side of the A.J. Stephens House, "Is that a snowball bush?"

And I said, "no," because my mind was full of images of larger shrubs with larger and more tissue-like blossom clusters that bloom a little later.

But the two are closely related, both members of the Viburnum family.

Now if I could just figure out which variety this lovely smallish bush is.

I flourishes in what for many plants would be hostile territory --- right up against a masonry wall in full sun in deplorable soil trapped between a sidewalk and the house. I blooms in early spring. It grows slowly. And it smells great.

Whatever it is, the historical society's retired chief gardener, Kay Brown, showed considerable wisdom when she planted it there.

No comments: