Sunday, June 10, 2018

Love can build a bridge ....


It's been kind of an exhausting week --- not personally, but collectively, in our global village. High-profile suicides have reminded us of the nature of despair and the consequences if it's not attended to; an acrimonious end to the G7 Summit reminded us of what can happen when a bully occupies the bully pulpit of the presidency. And much more.

It's tempting to disengage --- and it's important to do that now and then. But only long enough to refresh, regroup and re-energize. So I'm going to try to take what some call the "sabbath" as a day of (mental) rest.

Here's a bit of inspiration for the new week --- grabbed from the web site of the San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus where performance clips from that organization's Lavender Pen Tour of the South last fall have been posted recently.

This was filmed on Oct. 13 during a stop at First Baptist Church in Greenville, South Carolina. The song is an old country favorite, written by Naomi Judd, Paul Overstreet and John Jarvis, and released first by the Judds during December of 1990. Here are the lyrics:

I'd gladly walk across the desert
With no shoes upon my feet
To share with you the last bite
Of bread I had to eat
I would swim out to save you
In your sea of broken dreams
When all your hopes are sinkin'
Let me show you what love means.


Love can build a bridge
Between your heart and mine
Love can build a bridge
Don't you think it's time?
Don't you think it's time?

I would whisper love so loudly
Every heart could understand
That love and only love
Can join the tribes of man
I would give my heart's desire
So that you might see
The first step is to realize
That it all begins with you and me.

No comments: