Saturday, September 09, 2023

Iowa water and "The Swine Republic"

More recommended reading this morning as I spend most of my research time chasing the occupant of Lucas County's oldest marked grave through the hills and dales of southern Iowa. Three cemetery tour scripts done, two to go!

Dr. Chris Jones, recently retired from the University of Iowa’s Hydroscience and Engineering Laboratory, has rattled a few cages this summer with his book, "The Swine Republic," dealing with the degradation of Iowa's water due in large part to present-day farming practices.

So I got up this morning and this article from the online magazine "Iowa Source" was my sit on the side of the bed and wake up reading material. It's headline, "Iowa Water Crisis: What's Happened to our Lakes and Rivers?"

It's a good overview of the topic and I recommend it.



No comments: