Friday, November 19, 2021

Seven children and a pet lamb ...

... plus the Iowa Capitol building as it looked in 1903.

I got up this morning determined to write, then was led astray by Lance Foster's fascinating presentation on the Ioway Tribe posted a day or two ago by Living History Farms. More about that another time.

So I've fallen back on this --- a stereoscoptic image I downloaded the other day from the Library of Congress web site. The view is from the southwest.

One minor curiosity of the image is the fact the animal in the image was identified by a Library of Congress cataloger as a goat. When obviously it's a lamb.

It's a sad day in American when a Library of Congress cataloger no longer recognizes the difference between a sheep and a goat.

That's an exaggeration, by the way. But we do live  in an era of exaggeration --- and lazy nostalgia. Ah, for the good old days when everyone knew his or her place.

I'm not a fan of nostalgia, even though I write a lot about local history. The best defense against nostalgia, I've found, is a careful reading of history.


No comments: