Friday, July 26, 2019

"Wake Now My Senses ...."


I'm listening this morning to a favorite from the Unitarian Universalist hymnal ("Singing the Living Tradition") entitled "Wake Now My Senses," appropriate for these turbulent times of collective angst ---- or any other.

The author of the words is a native Iowan, the Rev. Thomas J.S. Mikelson, who served as minister of the Unitarian Universalist Society of Iowa City from 1971-1983, then moved to New England. He retired during 2006 as minister of First Parish, Cambridge, Massachusetts.

The tune is traditionally Irish and most often referred to as "Slane" when associated with a hymn, most notably "Be Thou My Vision."

The performer is unidentified except as "ExJW," which stands for Ex-Jehovah's Witness, but it is a crisp and clear presentation. Here are the Rev. Mr. Mikelson's words:

Wake, now, my senses,  and hear the earth call;
Feel the deep power of being in all; 
Keep, with the web of creation your vow,
Giving, receiving as love shows us how. 

Wake, now my reason, reach out to the new; 
Join with each pilgrim who quests for the true; 
Honor the beauty and wisdom of time;
Suffer thy limit, and praise the sublime.

Wake, now, compassion, give heed to the cry; 
Voices of suffering fill the wide sky;
Take as your neighbor both stranger and friend,
Praying and striving their hardship to end. 

Wake, now, my conscience, with justice thy guide
Join with all people whose rights are denied;
Take not for granted a privileged place;
God’s love embraces the whole human race. 

Wake, now, my vision of ministry clear; 
Brighten my pathway with radiance here;
Mingle my calling with all who will share; 
Work toward a planet transformed by our care.

No comments: