Wednesday, July 17, 2019

The view from Murray's bench


Murray Funk, who died during June of 2017 at the age of 90, was one of the kindest people I've known --- and I'd known him for a long time when he passed. 

Murray and Lucille moved from near Lacona to the small farm in Benton Township where they lived for more than 50 years in 1961, when I was just a kid. This was adjacent to our "other place" --- used mostly for grazing cattle and, on endless hot summer afternoon, putting up hay to feed those critters during the winter. Murray always was there to help out when my dad needed an extra hand.

He also worked more than 30 years at the Hy-Vee Distribution Center to make ends meet. And for many years, too, was one of the custodians at the Chariton Cemetery.

So I was happy to see the other day that Murray's memorial bench has been permanently located in the cemetery, adjacent to the drive on a high point overlooking his grave site. Accepting the invitation, I sat down for a while to enjoy the breeze, the view and a memory or two.

If you're out walking in the cemetery, please sit down, turn off your mobile device, relax a little and do the same. 

No comments: