Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Edge of night and the break of day ....

Here again --- that finest hour, between "the edge of night and the break of day" --- and I've been thinking about some of those who, at 73 and entering 74, I've outlived. Veteran both of Vietnam and the advent of AIDS, it never seemed likely I'd get here. It's a pleasant surprise, taken too often for granted, merely to wake up.

This isn't a melancholy exercise, only gratitude for some of the remarkable lives shared.

There are a couple of "gotcha" moments. The Baptist preacher, for example, who stopped by the office many years ago to tell me that he and others were praying the good lord would take me home if I didn't change my ways. He's dead. Everyone else in his prayer group, too. I'm not.

But mostly, just gratitude.

My college boyfriend Bob, some nine years older (mortuus est 2012), once told me that when he turned 30, he'd locked himself in his bedroom and listened to Judy Garland.

I'm listening to Nanci and Emmylou perform my birthday song, by the late, great Kate Wolf. There are no immediate plans to lock myself anywhere, but will head to the office a little later instead. The video is wretched, but the sound's not bad. Thanks to all for the birthday good wishes!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Happy birthday, Frank!