Saturday, January 26, 2019

My Bonie Bell --- and bluebells


'Tis the morning after Burns Night here in the south of Iowa, light snow is falling and the temperature is steady at minus-3 (f). There's no leftover haggis to offer, but a poem (or song) by the master himself (24 January 1759-21 July 1796) instead. And some snapshots of bluebells I took during an outing with friends along the South Chariton down in Wayne County back in May of 2014.

The smiling Spring comes in rejoicing, 
And surly Winter grimly flies; 
Now crystal clear are the falling waters, 
And bonie blue are the sunny skies. 
Fresh o'er the mountains breaks forth the morning, 
The ev'ning gilds the ocean's swell; 
All creatures joy in the sun's returning, 
And I rejoice in my bonie Bell. 

The flowery Spring leads sunny Summer, 
The yellow Autumn presses near; 
Then in his turn comes gloomy Winter, 
Till smiling Spring again appear: 
Thus seasons dancing, life advancing, 
Old Time and Nature their changes tell; 
But never ranging, still unchanging, 
I adore my bonie Bell.

Robbie probably was referring here to a love interest and the enduring nature of the related emotion  rather than to the flower --- but spring flowers seem in order this morning. The lines reportedly date from 1791.


If you missed Burns Night, most frequently celebrated now on the anniversary of the poet's death, remember that the first observances were held by our Scots friends and forbears on the anniversary of his death in July. By that time, the snow should have melted.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just happened to be emailing a Scottish cousin from Dumbarton, who is showing interest in where I live. So I refered her to your blogspot. I took a look at it and was delighted to discover the January 26th blog about Robert Burns himself! She will love it.