Thursday, November 09, 2017

The Derby High School Class of 1910


I'm always amazed when a paper item like this commencement program for the Derby High School Class of 1910, now 107 years old and in the Lucas County Historical Society collection, turns up in pristine condition.


It came to the society more than 20 years ago from the late Virginia Mart (1920-2000), of Derby, so she's the person responsible for taking such good care of it. Her father was Loy Henry George, one of the four members of the graduating class.


The covers are stock, probably provided by the printer who handled the beautifully done interior pages, punched and bound with pink ribbon.


A class photograph accompanies the program and shows (from left) Principal J. H. Riggle and graduates Ethel R. Johnston, Frank T. Spencer, LaVede F. Bremer and Loy H. George.

Loy married Claire M. Fulton at Russell during 1917 and was a rural mail carrier in the Derby area by trade. His health was fragile after a 1918 attack of influenza, however, and by the time their only child, Virginia, was born during 1920 he already had begun a five-year battle with tuberculosis that would claim his life during 1925.

Many members of this family, including Virginia and her father, are buried in the Derby Cemetery.

4 comments:

Norm Prince said...

What a small world Frank, as your offering today has a picture of my 3rd cousin, once removed - Ethel Rachel Johnston. Ethel was born 17 Sep 1891 in Perryton Township, Mercer Co, Illinois, the daughter of Joseph S Johnston and Sophîa Johnston. The story gets more interesting in that Ethel's father died in 1897 and her mother married John Jarvis George of Derby. Ethel married Herman Fulton McCollough on 25 Nov 1913 in the home of her stepfather and they had one child, Clarence E McCollough in Dec 1915. Ethel died very young on 9 Apr 1917 in Derby and her burial was in the family plot in the Reynolds Cemetery in Rock Island Co, Illinois. In the second marriage for both, John George and Sophîa Johnston had one child, Russell Johnston George born in 1906 and he died in Derby in 1973.
I would like to keep a copy of the photograph in my file if that would be alright with you.
Norm

Frank D. Myers said...

Hi Norm --- It is a small world indeed. You're welcome to use the photograph in any way you like. Frank

Unknown said...

Thank you for the article on my Grandfather Loy H. George. I had not seen the picture you posted, I also have, some place, a graduation announcement of Fulton relatives from May School. I think, if I remember right, one was Clell Fulton who lived most of his life in Derby and worked at the bank that was robbed. As did my Grandmother Claire Fulton who was there at the time it was robbed. Seems I am related to Norm Prince by marriage of my Great Grandfather J.J. George to Sophia Johnston!

Anne Mart McDonough said...

Thank you so much, Frank, for this wonderful posting. As Mary Ellen (my sister) said above, Loy George is also my grandfather, and I am so excited to save this information and pictures for my family files. You are very appreciated for all you do for the preservation of Lucas County history.