Saturday, January 21, 2017

America, America ...


President Trump's distorted and dark inaugural vision of America, past and present, seemed to leave little hope Friday. A significant opportunity missed to unite and move us forward together.

So I looked elsewhere for a more accurate vision of where we've been and who we have the potential to be --- and found it in a song, usually reserved these days for Veterans Day, performed so memorably by Norah Jones in Ken Burns' 2007 documentary series, "The War."

"American Anthem," composed by Gene Scheer, premiered during 1999 at a Smithsonian Institution ceremony marking restoration of the "Star Spangled Banner" and subsequently was featured during the 2005 inauguration of George W. Bush.

Here it is, performed by mezzo-soprano Denyce Graves, who premiered it. And read the lyrics, too.

All we've been given by those who came before
The dream of a nation where freedom would endure
The work and prayers of centuries have brought us to this day
What shall be our legacy? What will our children say?

Let them say of me I was one who believed
In sharing the blessings I received.
Let me know in my heart when my days are through
America, America, I gave my best to you.

Each generation from the plains to distant shore
With the gifts they were given were determined to leave more.
Battles fought together, acts of conscience fought alone:
These are the seeds from which America has grown.

Let them say of me I was one who believed
In sharing the blessings that I received.
Let me know in my heart when my days are through
America, America, I gave my best to you.

For those who think they have nothing to share,
Who fear in their hearts there is no hero there.
Know each quiet act of dignity is that which fortifies
The soul of a nation that will never die.

Let them say of me I was one who believed
In sharing the blessings I received.
Let me know in my heart when my days are through
America, America, I gave my best to you.

Now get out there, damn it, and give your best. To those participating in Women's Marches today --- you go out there in Los Angeles, Roberta --- thank you!

No comments: