Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Election Day is Veterans Day, too ...

Two days separate Election Day and Veterans Day this year and in part because of that, I've pulled forward a video I like to share some years on the latter.

It was put together during 2010 by Jason Eric Mumaw in memory of his late father, a Vietnam veteran. 

The song, "American Anthem," was written by Gene Scheer and performed by Norah Jones for Ken Burns' seven-part 2007 documentary, "The War."

Here are the lyrics:

All we've been given by those who came before
The dream of a nation where freedom would endure
The work and prayers of centuries have brought us to this day
What shall be our legacy? What will our children say?

Let them say of me I was one who believed
In sharing the blessings I received.
Let me know in my heart when my days are through
America, America, I gave my best to you.

Each generation from the plains to distant shore
With the gifts they were given were determined to leave more.
Battles fought together, acts of conscience fought alone:
These are the seeds from which America has grown.

Let them say of me I was one who believed
In sharing the blessings that I received.
Let me know in my heart when my days are through
America, America, I gave my best to you.

For those who think they have nothing to share,
Who fear in their hearts there is no hero there.
Know each quiet act of dignity is that which fortifies
The soul of a nation that will never die.

Let them say of me I was one who believed
In sharing the blessings I received.
Let me know in my heart when my days are through
America, America, I gave my best to you.

America, [America] I gave my best to you.


Flag-waving on Veterans Day often is an empty gesture; voting on Election Day never is. I'm a believer. How about you?

3 comments:

Gene Wright said...

Was just wondering how you justify your obvious and admirable pro-veteran and patriotic stance with the anti-military leanings and the Bengazi scandal of the Clintons. My guess would be the controversy over Trump's idiotic comment on McCain's POW incarceration. GW (An avid reader)

Brenda said...

This post and the video touched my heart especially now. My great-nephew Matt Lewellen was one of three American soldiers killed last Friday in Jordan where they were helping train Jordanian soldiers at the King Faisal Air Base in Al-Jafr to fight the Islamic State.

I will share your post with the family; it will mean a lot to them too. Thanks.


You can follow the link below to read more about this wonderful young man, an American hero:

http://www.kirksvilledailyexpress.com/news/20161106/kirksville-native-and-army-green-beret-lewellen-killed-in-jordan

Frank D. Myers said...

Oh my --- I'm so sorry. Frank