Monday, October 10, 2016

Say a little prayer (then live it)

The entire weekend passed without talking politics even once and I watched an episode of the newest season of "Longmire" last night, rather than the great debate. None of this means I'm apolitical.

I'll saddle up and go to the auditor's office one day this week, pick up a ballot and vote for Hillary Clinton. Not as a protest vote against anyone else, but because in my opinion she's the only candidate fit to fill what perhaps is the most powerful position in the world.

I'm also scheduled to get my marching orders as statistician for the Democratic campaign in Lucas County a little later today (I hate to make phone calls but don't mind "busy work," so this generally works out well, although I'd really rather be doing other things).

I'm also going to stick this little prayer card --- picked up if I'm remembering right from a back table at Sacred Heart Church --- in my shirt pocket and do my best to keep the worlds on the back (a prayer attributed to St. Francis of Assisi) in mind.

We all should. 

Here's one of my favorite musical versions of the prayer, performed by The Canadian Tenors. Prayer, after all, is principally a call to action --- not an exercise in magic thinking.

No comments: