Sunday, June 28, 2015

Why they call it "Butterfly" Milkweed


The bright red-orange of Butterfly Milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa) is impossible to miss in prairie remnants, savannas and elsewhere right now --- one reason for a hike Saturday afternoon down the Cinder Path east of Derby.

This also was the first time I'd been back to that particular patch of prairie since the conservation staff did some much-needed work in mid-spring with a brush cutter. Wounds were evident then, but all have healed now and the early summer variety is as amazing.

At least four varieties of butterfly were lunching when I walked by --- another reason for a long walk right now. I wish I were better at identifying butterflies. The big one here is a Fritillary, the smaller one (with wings aflutter), a Pearl Crescent. When you figure out which variety of Fritillary --- let me know.





The big guy here is another variety of Fritillary; the smaller butterfly --- I'm not so sure.






And finally, here's a Pearl Crescent sitting still with wings spread.


No comments: