Friday, August 08, 2014

Taking down the Christmas tree

My cousin, Donnell --- who lives in the greater St. Louis area --- is such an inspiration. She took her Christmas tree down earlier this week. So I decided I should do that, too, on Thursday. Now all traces of the holidays have been swept into their boxes and I'm ready for spring. Oh, wait ....

It went well, other than a slight misadventure with the baby Jesus (yes, the nativity set still was up, too), who somehow rolled under the sofa and wasn't discovered until after everything else had been packed in plastic and returned to shelves in the garage. I even jammed the tree back into its box and hoisted it to the garage rafters.

But the whole process wore me down and, when combined with a meeting in Russell last evening, put me behind schedule. So the post I'd planned about the apartments now under construction above Piper's will have to wait for another day since I overslept, until 5:30 a.m. Wow.

And I have to get the garbage out to the curb, since it's Friday. 

I've missed the truck two weeks running, which hasn't been a major issue only because of the wonderful nature of Darrah Garbage Disposal. If those guys don't find your refuse at the curb at the appointed time, they go looking for the cart and haul it out themselves.

But I don't want to push my luck three weeks running ....

Later.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

I'm trying not to judge, but the Christmas tree? In August?

Frank D. Myers said...

I know, I know. But it's a smallish intensively decorated tree that sits in a corner, more ornament and light than tree. And it's a real pain (a) to decorate and (b) to disassemble and put away!