Saturday, July 06, 2013

A blogger's nightmare (between 4 and 7 a.m.)

This is a morning when what I had planned to write about turned out --- careless of me --- not to have been a good idea. Can't find the earlier post that was to be the basis of another post that identified a "mystery" vintage photograph.

I swear that photograph was scanned, written about and posted, but no combination of likely search words will turn it up. Drat. Another day.

Nor will the map I'd planned to download to illustrate the fall-back topic download. Darned University of Iowa digital maps collection server.

According to the statistics page, there are 1,606 posts here stretching back to May 4, 2005. That's one reason why it's hard to find something --- like that elusive photo --- that isn't indexed. 

There used to be more posts, but I've taken to swatting those that seem in retrospect hopelessly outdated and/or entirely without redeeming social value. More need to go. 

When faced with an absence of anything to blog about, blog about blogging.

+++

I do this every day and have done so for several years. It's a form of discipline --- like meditation or running (but not as healthy; lots of coffee between 4 and 7 a.m.). It's also fun.

No, it's not hard to come up with ideas, but it is hard sometimes to find the time to develop them. I keep a running list. Many of the topics on that list will require a good deal of research --- and that's time-consuming, so topics keep getting pushed back.

As it is, this business consumes maybe two-three hours a day, day in and day out. Mostly I write between 4 and 7 a.m., then get on with the day. Others write at night, but my mind generally is fried by 7 p.m. If there weren't other things to do, I'd joyfully research and write eight hours a day. But I'd sure hate not to do all that other stuff, too.

Sometimes I write about religion, social issues, politics --- mostly to clarify my own thoughts. Bloggers who consistently write about religion, social issues and politics tend to become delusional and fancy that they're changing hearts and minds. Mostly, they're preaching to the choir.

Sometimes I write about stuff just to be annoying. Don't like it? Get your own blog.

+++

I like to read blogs, too --- blogs about old houses, preservation, genealogy and how other people live in other places. Especially Iowa-related blogs.

There should be a directory of Iowa bloggers. Actually, many have tried to develop directories of Iowa bloggers --- and failed. Keeping track of bloggers is akin to herding cats. Bloggers come and bloggers go. Cyberspace is littered with abandoned blogs.

Maybe I should try to develop a directory of Iowa bloggers. Then again, probably not. Best just stick to blogging.


1 comment:

Big Grove Walker said...

Frank, your routine sounds like mine and I hope you will keep on blogging. I don't read every day, but that type of religious devotion should be reserved for other things, although exactly what escapes me at the moment. :)

What you said about why you blog, "mostly to clarify my own thoughts," is basically it. Only on a rare occasion does anyone come up with something profound among the tens of millions of blogs out there. Either people want to join our personal journeys or they don't.
As far as a list of Iowa related blogs... I think it's hopeless because of the constant change and multitude of platforms for self-expression. Too, I want to read stuff that's not like me and where I come from. I read readers of my blog, and various peace and justice sites. I don't often read overtly political sites like Bleeding Heartland or The Iowa Republican. I write for Blog for Iowa, and do read what others write on our site, but that is to be expected.

Posting in social media, and blogs are that if anything, is something that helps us deal with a turbulent world, and work toward self-fulfillment. They are no substitute for an actual meeting, or phone call with a live person, but they are something worth pursuing. And pleasurable... don't let the clergy find out about that.