Monday, December 20, 2010

Lessons & Carols: No. 6


Sharon Baptist Church, Wayne County, Iowa

 I wonder as I wander out under the sky,

How Jesus the Savior did come for to die.

For poor on'ry people like you and like I...

I wonder as I wander out under the sky.


When Mary birthed Jesus 'twas in a cow's stall,

With wise men and farmers and shepherds and all.

But high from God's heaven a star's light did fall,

And the promise of ages it then did recall.


If Jesus had wanted for any wee thing,

A star in the sky, or a bird on the wing,

Or all of God's angels in heav'n for to sing,

He surely could have it, 'cause he was the King.

(Words and music by John Jacob Niles, based on a song fragment collected 1933 in Murphy, N.C.)

1 comment:

Wanda Horn said...

I was happy to see the picture of Sharon Church, although I'm heartbroken about the decay that is overtaking it. All my grandparents, one set of great-grandparents, and many aunts, uncles and cousins are buried in this churchyard. My parents have a headstone there even though both were cremated.

When I was a child, we went to Sharon every year for the "Decoration Day" outdoor pot-luck dinner, which was followed by a patriotic program in the church. Each family contributed by singing a song, doing a reading, or "speaking a piece" (reciting a poem). Good memories!