Thursday, November 08, 2007

Not to toot my own horn or anything ...


...but I am, after all, the Lucas County Arts Council's Arts Patron of the Year for 2007. Wow. This was a surprise, delivered at the Council's arts show Saturday at the Freight House in Chariton and reflects, I think, a few things I've done on a volunteer basis for the Council over the last couple of years. It's also a good reminder that I've got other projects in the works and need to be getting on with them.

It really is an honor, and I'm astonished and grateful (although awards aren't necessary when what you've been doing is fun).

So thanks Nick and Dru, Judy and everyone else!

The Arts Council is a fairly remarkable organization, especially respected by me because it has over the years applied the proper broad definition of "arts" and recognized that architecture, too, is an art --- hence salvation of the Dual Gables House and Chariton's old C.B.&Q. Freight House, both of which might have perished had it not been for a Council inspired initially by the late Dorothy Many and since by Nick Cattell and others.

The only down side to Saturday's award was the photo on the front page of Tuesday's Chariton Leader. Nick looked great. I looked as if I'd just eaten an Arts Council board member for lunch. With warning, I'd have gotten a hair cut and tried to smile. Oh well, at least as dictator of this blog, I can be sure that photo will never appear here.

No comments: