Tuesday, January 26, 2021

I'll take a cup o' kindness yet ...

Somewhere around here there's a bottle of decent Scotch whiskey and if I'd had my wits about me on the snowy night just past I'd have found it and had a wee dram to mark Burns Night, a traditional celebration of the famed Scot poet's January 25 birthday.

But truth be told, I don't enjoy the taste of Scotch whiskey, which is why I've had that bottle for more years than I care to remember.

To do it up right, one is supposed to serve haggis, too --- but wouldn't carry it that far even if Hy-Vee stocked it.

Burns probably is best known for "Auld Lang Syne" even through he most likely recycled at least some of the lyrics of earlier anonymous poets and there's no guarantee the musical setting is original.

Here's a lovely version to start your day in rousing fashion, sung by Maeve MacKinnon with backing from the Pipers of the World.

And it's never too late to "tak a cup o' kindness yet for days of auld lang syne."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy to help with the scotch issue!