Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Derby's William Young writes his own obituary ...


William Young/Courtesy Charles Wright
This little folder, printed after the death of Derby's William Young during late summer 1898, turned up earlier in the week as I was filing photographs at the museum. It's one of those fragile items that by one means or another has managed to survive 120 years and we continue to take good care of it to ensure that it lasts a lot longer.

The folder is interesting to me at least because it contains the deceased's first-hand account of his life, written more than a year before his death. The folder itself probably was printed in The Patriot print shop in Chariton, more than likely after services had been held and his remains interred in the Derby Cemetery. Perhaps it was intended as a keepsake for family and friends and/or something that might be mailed to those who lived far from Lucas County.

The Patriot of Sept. 1, 1898, contains a front-page obituary for William that is a condensed and rephrased version of the autobiography in the folder as well as a news item recording a visit by Mrs. Young, Sarah, and one of her sons to the Patriot shop. The editor noted, in reporting the visit, that the Youngs --- who arrived in Lucas County during 1860 --- were among the newspaper's earliest and most consistent subscribers.

I've taken the photo of William from his Find a Grave entry, which contains biographical information provided by Charles Wright rather that a transcript of his obituary. According to Charles, William's daughter, Blanche (Young) Winslow, recalled that her father, originally a tailor, had sold needles and other items to help support his family while traveling west to Iowa by covered wagon during 1860. And that he was one of the few adult males in the May community not in service during the Civil War and as a result, helped care for women and children in the neighborhood while their husbands and fathers were away.

The first page of the folder contains the following text:


William Young

Father passed peacefully away at six o'clock, August 25, 1898, in the morning. Was buried Saturday, August 27th, at two o'clock in the afternoon.

The funeral was held in the M.E. Church of Derby, led by Rev. Edgar Matheney, assisted by Revs. Russell and Fight. Rev. Matheney preached from the text, Deut. 3:25: "I pray thee let me go over and see the good land that is beyond Jordan, that good-by (goodly) mountain and Lebanon." Songs: In Sacred songs: "Under His wings," page 5; "Jesus Knows Your Sorrow," page 64. In Hymnal, "Asleep in Jesus," page 979. Chant: "Thy Will be Done." He was laid to rest in the Derby cemetery.



The center spread of the folder contains the following text:

Written by William Young
February 4, 1897
In Derby, Lucas County, Iowa
A chapter of my life, and where I was born, and when I was born.

I was born at Harmony, Butler county, Pennsylvania in the Year of Our Lord 1825, June the 9th.

I was the first born of my parents and lived with them until I was 19 years old, and worked at the tailor trade with my father who was a tailor.

Then I went to Pittsburgh and worked at my trade there for two years, then I went home to Harmony and worked with my father for six months. There I got acquainted with Sarah Graham, and we were married March 14, 1847, and moved to Portersville and I stuck out my shingle with $1.50 in my pocket.

I went to work at my trade and lived there for ten years. Then I had to quit work on account of my health. I could not stand my trade. So I quit and moved on my father's farm on Yellow Creek, stayed there for one year, then moved to a farm on Crabrun, called the Beathley farm, which I bought and lived there until June, 1860, then moved to Iowa, Lucas county, where I have lived ever since. I stayed in Chariton for four months, then moved on my farm, eight miles southwest of Chariton, and lived there for 27 years. I then moved to Derby, and have been in Derby for nine years and am here yet. Have been sick for four years with the dropsy, asthma and rheumatism, and am in a bad condition; my limbs are running and are very sore, I can hardly walk on them.

I am 72 years old next June the 9th, if I live that long. It is a few days over five weeks till our 50th anniversary, the 14th of March, 1897. Our union was blessed with eight children, seven of whom are now living and well; the first born died when he was two years old. There were six boys and two girls; one boy died, leaving five boys and two girls, all married but one, the youngest girl. One son and one daughter live out west in the state of Washington.

My companion will be 72 the 11th of October next. She was born in Butler county, Pennsylvania, and she moved to Pittsburgh when quite small. That was her home until she was married. She was on a visit to her sisters in Harmony when I got acquainted with her. Her parents both being dead, she worked at dressmaking.

She has been a good and faithful wife and has a hard task taking care of me, and I don't know when I shall be able to repay her for her kindness to me. The Lord will bless those that are good to their fellow creatures.

I haven't worked any for four years, and am not able to anything yet.

We have twenty-four grandchildren, two dead and twenty-two living.

I was married by Samuel Miller, a Presbyterian minister in Harmony, Butler county, Pennsylvania, at her brother-in-law's, Aaron Erb's. I joined the Lutheran Church in Zellenople, Butler County, Pennsylvania, when a boy of fifteen years. Then I joined the M.E. Church in Iowa with my wife, who joined the M.E. Church in Pittsburg when thirteen years of age. We are both members of the M.E. Church of Derby.

William Young
February 4, 1897, Derby, Iowa.


Doris Christensen/Find a Grave


No comments: