Sunday, April 22, 2018

Peter Mayer's "Blue Boat Home"


It's hard to find a hymnal within the various Christian denominations that doesn't contain lyrics set to the Welsh tune Hyfrydol, composed about 1831 by Rowland Huw Pritchard.

Peter Mayer's earth-centered version, Blue Boat Home, dating I believe from 2002, is popular among Unitarian Universalists --- and others who share the wonder of sailing through the universe together on this fragile "blue boat" planet of ours.

This seems like a good Sunday morning for it, as spring unfolds. The performance, by Mayer, was recorded during 2014.

Though below me, I feel no motion 
Standing on these mountains and plains 
Far away from the rolling ocean 
Still my dry land heart can say 
I’ve been sailing all my life now 
Never harbor or port have I known 
The wide universe is the ocean I travel 
And the earth is my blue boat home

Sun, my sail, and moon my rudder 
As I ply the starry sea 
Leaning over the edge in wonder 
Casting questions into the deep 
Drifting here with my ship’s companions 
All we kindred pilgrim souls 
Making our way by the lights of the heavens 
In our beautiful blue boat home

I give thanks to the waves upholding me 
Hail the great winds urging me on 
Greet the infinite sea before me 
Sing the sky my sailor’s song 
I was born upon the fathoms 
Never harbor or port have I known 
The wide universe is the ocean I travel 
And the earth is my blue boat home.


No comments: