Thursday, November 26, 2015

Gratitude


A Thanksgiving reflection by Josh Korda rooted in the Buddhist tradition, originally found here.

Countless are those who are born without physical or mental health.
I have been born with all limbs and faculties complete.

Many are those who live in lands of strife and conflict, and who are deprived of security and safety.
I am living in a place where there is peace.

Incalculable are those forced to toil without end, and who are driven by hunger and want.
I have enough to sustain my body and time to give it rest.

Numerous are those who live as slaves, unable to go where they wish and think as they like.
I enjoy great freedom.

Without number are those who live in regions where the light of the truth does not shine and its message is not heard above the racket of doctrines that cause suffering.
I have heard the good teachings.

Truly precious and great are the blessings I enjoy.
Here I contemplate on my good fortune and the good of others.

To repay these gifts, I will use my efforts to overcome the obstacles of hatred, greed and delusion.

No comments: