Thursday, November 28, 2013

A little thankfulness ...

Some Facebook friends have been doing a couple of things lately that catch my eye --- posting daily reasons for gratitude and composing numbered lists of stuff no one else (supposedly) knows about them. 

I'm too lazy to do the former. And when a guy sits down day after day, year after year, to write blog posts, there's little left for the latter. Except for those things you really don't want the world at large to know about --- and we all have them.

My assigned number in that list business was six (didn't carry through); and I'm grateful for all sorts of things nearly every day. Here's a combination then: Six items I'm grateful for on this morning of thanksgiving:

1. Life, which always comes in handy. I figured I'd die in Vietnam, but didn't. Then I figured I'd die of AIDS, but didn't. Now there's the possibility I'll die of old age --- unless something else nails me first. Two out of three ain't bad.

2. Curiosity, which exercises brain cells that otherwise might atrophy. Question everything, challenge everyone who assures you he or she has the answer. So much to learn; so little time. Isn't it wonderful?

3. Writers. The answer to everything is somewhere in a book, a learned article or online --- or will be eventually. Thanks to all who share their insights --- on paper, in blogs, via Facebook or otherwise.

4. Musicians, all who compose or perform and have been doing so since humanity learned to whistle and pound on a rock with a stick. Some say music reflects the glory of God; I say music is God.

5. This glorious landscape that I live smack in the middle of, and all its interrelated components. Plus eyes to see it, ears to hear it and time to enjoy it.

6. Twenty-seven-ounce glass jars of Borden's classic original None Such mincemeat with raisins and apples. I do love me some mincemeat pie.


1 comment:

Brenda said...

Great list! I'm thankful that you write a blog that is fun and informative. Happy Thanksgiving.