Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Memorial Day weekend weather report ...


The photo here was taken Friday, when all the fourth-graders in the Chariton school district visited us at the Lucas County Historical Society museum. Great day --- great weather.

It's kind of gone down hill since then.  Which is why I put on warm socks this morning rather than turning the furnace back on for a shot of warm and dry (yes, I remember promising not to complain about cool and damp during last summer's hot and dry).

Anyhow, it's 50 degrees again, cloudy and there's a slash of flash-flood watches and warnings across Iowa from northwest to southeast. If the extended forecast is to be believed, this sort of thing will go on at least through midweek.

+++

After mudding down the Blue Grass Road to Salem Cemetery with the planters yesterday afternoon, I drove on down to Russell to take in a little of the alumni reunion --- but forgot to stick the camera in my pocket. Darn.

Putting this event together every four years is very hard work, and I felt badly about not being able to stay longer, but other commitments collided.

The first person I saw when I walked into the Russell Museum, which was serving as the reunion welcome center, was classmate Linda (Gartin) Whitlatch --- who despite the passing of years looks just like Linda (Gartin) Whitlatch looked back in the 1960s, more than many of the rest of us can say. We had a good visit.

Then I went down to the United Methodist Church, where several classes from the 1950s had gathered for lunch, to visit with Mary (Woodman) Coe and others. 

Next time, I'll stay longer --- and bring the camera. I hope everyone had fun, despite the weather.

+++

This is not the kind of weather than encourages Memorial Day weekend cemetery visits, but keep in mind that the Chariton Cemetery shelter house will be open and staffed from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. both today and tomorrow (hopefully everyone else will be wearing warm socks, too). 

No comments: