Thursday, April 04, 2013

Roger Ebert on mortality


Film critic Roger Ebert, 70, lost his long battle with cancer Thursday --- a disease that in its later manifestations took a portion of his jaw during 2006 and with it his ability to speak and eat.

MSNBC, in its coverage, quoted the following Ebert journal entry regarding death (previously reported in Esquire):  "I know it is coming, and I do not fear it, because I believe there is nothing on the other side of death to fear. I hope to be spared as much pain as possible on the approach path. I was perfectly content before I was born, and I think of death as the same state. What I am grateful for is the gift of intelligence, and for life, love, wonder, and laughter. You can’t say it wasn’t interesting."

What a wonderful, wise and hopeful outlook.

Others have noted that humanity is the only element of creation's vast web silly enough to think itself worthy of eternal life --- or that such a thing, were it possible, would be desirable.

No comments: