Friday, April 18, 2008

Curmudgeon (cheese with your whine, sir?)

At approximately 6:55 a.m. last Saturday as my cheapskate dial-up modem did battle with the ISP's receptors, it dialed 911 --- and at 7 a.m. two very nice police officers came to the front door to inquire about my welfare. They had never heard of such a thing and neither had I. Whine No. 1, 18 April.

While enjoying toast Monday morning with my Today show friends, my nose began to run and I commenced to cough --- and continued to do so for 24 hours. If I could get my hands on whoever gave me that short and violent cold.... Whine No. 2, 18 April.

I've bought a pound of the same brand of Fair Trade coffee every week at HyVee West for as long as I can remember. For as long as I can remember, no checkout person has been able to find the item in the list of codes for items that do not have scan bars. I have the price memorized ($7.99 a pound); usually that's enough. This morning, it wasn't. The clerk looked and looked; a HyVee sub-manager type looked and looked and looked some more. The line at express check-out lengthened. I lost my temper. Whine No. 3, 18 April.

You think you've got two half-way decent candidates in Hillary and Barack, then find out neither has the sense God gave a goose. How ya gonna end a war if you can't be civil enough to each other long enough to put a Democrat in the White House? Hell, John McCain doesn't need friends to land the presidency; he just needs Clinton and Obama. Whine No. 4, 19 April.

You've all heard it: Is the Pope Catholic? By gum we found someone at the office this week who didn't know that. Honest. Whine No. 5, 19 April.

It's been that kind of week ...

No comments: